President Uhuru Kenyatta announces KSh 53.7 billion economic stimulus programme that will be injected in the Kenyan economy to address challenges caused by COVID-19.
President Kenyatta announced other economic measures as follows:
1. KSh 6.5 billion allocated to the Ministry of Education to hire 10,000 teachers and ICT interns to support digital learning programmes.
2. KSh 10 billion to fast-track payment of pending bills.
3. Hiring 5,000 more health workers for a period of one year to enhance COVID-19 response and Universal Health Coverage.
4. KSh 1.7 billion for the expansion of capacity in public hospitals.
5. KSh 3 billion for the supply of farm inputs and KSh 1.5 billion to assist horticulture and flower producers to help them access foreign markets.
6. KSh 2 billion to support renovation and restructuring of businesses in the tourism sector. The government will also help soft loans for hotels.
7. KSh 850 million to mitigate the impact of climate change and deforestation and KSh 1 billion for flood control measures.
8. KSh 600 million to purchase locally manufactured vehicles to sustain businesses of local vehicles manufacturers.