Teachers Service Commission is a body that
- Employs teachers in Kenya
- register trained teachers;
- recruit and employ registered teachers;
- assign teachers employed by the Commission for service in any public school or institution;
- promote and transfer teachers;
- exercise disciplinary control over teachers;
- terminate the employment of teachers.
- review the standards of education and training of persons entering the teaching service;
- review the demand for and the supply of teachers; and
- advise the national government on matters relating to the teaching profession.
There is a fake article making rounds that TSC is retiring teachers who have attained the age of 58 years and above due to Corona. The fake article from some bloggers is already causing unnecessary anxiety among the teachers.
The same post purports that those who have stagnated will be promoted.
Retirement age is not determined by employers but is anchored on the law through act of parliament. So far the retirement age of public servants and teachers is 60 and 65 years for PWDs in Kenya.
A TSC Official has come out today saying that that is all romour mongering, an unsubstantiated rumour infact.